You are unsure of what type of work-at-home job you want to get into so you can earn an income from home. Perhaps tarot reading is the right fit for you, but you’d like to do something else in addition to it. I get it. I do, and that is why I am blogging and freelance writing. And you are wondering what the right fit for you is? Have you considered narrowing that down based on your Enneagram type? If not, then you need to check this out.
If you don’t know what Enneagram is, it is a personality typing system similar to the Meyers Briggs or MTBI. Your type indicates your motivations, nature, general likes, dislikes, and fears. Instead of 16 personalities, the Enneagram has nine. I am a type 4, but I’ll elaborate on that a little later.
How Do You Find Out Your Enneagram Type?
I recommend Shine Buzz, where you can take the free Enneagram test to find out your dominant type. I do not intend to get too complex with this, as the point is to use your Enneagram type to help you find the best work-at-home job for you. So before I get into the nitty-gritty of how else the Enneagram can serve you, let me list the nine types and the most suitable work-at-home jobs for each one.
- Enneagram Type 1 – The Reformer – Are you overly concerned about details? Are you highly self-controlled and disciplined? Are you overly worried about going by the book? Can you only work in an environment that is neat and clean? Then you may be this type. Therefore, the most suitable work-at-home job for you would be editing and proofreading. You could also be a writer of instructional manuals or transcription. Perhaps being a researcher would be appropriate too.
- Enneagram Type 2 – The Helper – Are you a natural caregiver and need to make sure that others’ needs are met before you meet your own? Never forget to tend to your own needs, though. Do you thrive on knowing that you made a positive difference for someone or a situation? The most suitable job for you would be marketing and advertising, food blogging, or a mom blogger.
- Enneagram Type 3 – The Performer – Are you highly driven and goal-oriented? Do you live for validation for the work you do? Do you have a strong desire for admiration? Then this may be you. And the most suitable jobs would be a small business owner of your choice, PR-related work, event planner, or an entertainment industry blogger.
- Enneagram Type 4 – The Individualist – Are you expressive to the point you want to show your unique ways? Are you creative? Can you be dramatic and temperamental often? Do you have a strong desire to stand out? This might be you. The best-suited work-at-home jobs would be creative writing, fashion blogging, small business owner, crafting, graphic design, or anything related to the arts. How about tarot reading or astrology? I am this type which is why I relate.
- Enneagram Type 5 – The Observer – Are you the type to sit back and observe the world around you rather than participating in it? Do you enjoy taking in knowledge and finding out something brand new every day? Are you the type to be private and want to be out of the way of others? This could be you. The most suited work-at-home jobs for you would be non-fiction writing, data entry, editing, web designing, graphic design, and researching.
- Enneagram Type 6 – The Loyal Cynic – Are you all about trust and loyalty? Do you tend to get anxious often over the possibility that someone may not be trustworthy? Do you get a sense of comfort from your beliefs? If so, your loyalty is appreciated. The best type of work-at-home jobs would be legal writing, web coding, or religious writing.
- Enneagram Type 7 – The Enthusiast – Are you always looking for the next adventure? Are you quite inquisitive and spontaneous? Are you a quick-thinker? Do you have a variety of skills, and are you a master multitasker? Then this may be you. Your ideal work-at-home job would be either reporting, party planning, travel blogging, blogging about anything adventurous.
- Enneagram Type 8 – The Challenger – Do you consider yourself bold and to be the type to be in control all the time? Are you a natural leader? Do you have issues with becoming angry quickly? And do you thrive being in a position of authority? The most suitable jobs for you are in sales, advertising, and business owner.
- Enneagram Type 9 – The Peacemaker – Are you the type that is quite reserved and wants there to be peace all of the time? Do you avoid conflict, and are you content with going with the flow? Do you like to blend out in the background and allow others to get the spotlight? Then this is you. The most suited jobs for this type are counseling, general blogging, social media management, and crafting.
And what if you find yourself being a combination of different types? This is where the nitty-gritty comes in.
The first thing is that you have one dominant type. You then have two other types. How do you determine that? It is based on the center of your kind, and there are three centers.
The three centers are the:
- Instinctive or body center which rules the angry and passionate responses
- The thinking center which governs responses having to do with fear
- The feeling center governs the responses to do with shame.
The types that fall into the instinctive center are types 8, 9, and 1.
The types that fall into the thinking center are types 5, 6, and 7.
The type that falls into the feeling center is 2, 3, and 4.
Therefore, we all have three types. The primary type is dominant. You have a type from the instinctive center, the thinking center, and the feeling center. You cannot have more than one type from each center. My dominant type is 4, which is from the feeling center. My secondary type is 5, which is from the thinking center. And my third type is 8, which is from the instinct center. I am an introvert who thinks and gets deep into emotions but will not hesitate to express an opinion aggressively and unapologetically if necessary.
But that is not all. You also have the wings that you lean on, which is the neighboring type to your dominant type. You can have one dominant wing, or you can alternate between 2 wings. Therefore, the wings of type 4 are 3 and 5. My dominant wing is type 5 as I am more introverted, introspective, and have more of a rebellious side than those who have the 4 type with the three dominant wing – as they are more sociable.
That is not all about the Enneagram, but this is a good start for you. If you want to find out more about what is involved with the Enneagram, an excellent site to bookmark is The Enneagram Institute.